Makes you want a Jag!
Jaguar introduced the XFR-S yesterday at the Los Angeles Auto Show, demonstrating the performance side of team Coventry had their way and developed a seriously quick performance sedan.
The auto maker is calling the XFR-S their most powerful sports sedan and the numbers prove the point.
Power comes from a 5-liter supercharged V8 putting out 550PS or about 542 horsepower with torque rated at 680Nm or 501 ft-lbs. An eight-speed transmission puts the power down and has what Jaguar is calling ‘Quickshift’ functionality.
The sprint to 60mph comes in 4.4 seconds with the speedo topping out at 186. The color of the car shown here looks fantastic, with go-fast bits such as a carbon fiber rear spoiler, agressive nose and rear splitter will appeal to the affluent, performance-minded buyer Jaguar is targeting.
Watch out BMW, your M-series cars have new competition and the claws are out!
Take a look at our Ridestory Jaguar XFR-S gallery…
- The XFR-S is Jaguar’s fastest, most powerful and agile sports saloon ever
- The XFR-S builds on the already acclaimed XFR to create an even more focused product
- Power and torque of the 5.0-litre supercharged V8 have been increased to 550PS and 680Nm – up 40PS and 55Nm over the XFR, and with no impact on fuel consumption or emissions
- The XFR-S will sprint from zero to 60mph in 4.4 seconds (0-100km/h in 4.6 seconds) and on to an electronically limited top speed of 186mph (300km/h)
- An eight-speed transmission with ‘Quickshift’ functionality enables optimal acceleration throughout the speed and rev ranges
- Comprehensive front and rear suspension upgrades maximise response with lateral stiffness up by 30%
- Electronic active differential and Dynamic Stability Control systems have also been recalibrated to enhance handling characteristics
- New, wider, 20-inch ‘Varuna’ forged alloy wheels are shod with bespoke tyres to maximise grip
- Aerodynamic changes, with extensive use of carbon fibre construction, reduce lift by 68% and give the car an assertive appearance
- Exclusive interior materials include carbon leather and contrasting highlight micro-piping and stitching
The second model in Jaguar’s ultra-high performance R-S range, the XFR-S joins its XKR-S sibling in the exclusive 300km/h club and is a vivid expression of Jaguar’s longstanding and legendary sports saloon lineage.
The XFR-S incorporates engineering features from both the XKR-S and the all-new F-TYPE two-seater sports car to create the most driver-focused, agile and responsive iteration of Jaguar’s award-winning XF saloon range. The XFR-S has been developed by Jaguar Land Rover’s specialist ETO division – its bespoke powertrain, chassis and body enhancements enabling it to push the performance boundaries.
Electrifying performance is provided by the 5.0-litre supercharged V8 petrol engine which now boasts 550PS and 680Nm – up 40PS and 55Nm respectively over its XFR installation. The increases have been achieved through revisions to the engine management system and optimisation of the flow of air both into and out of the engine.
Fitted with an eight-speed transmission incorporating Jaguar’s ‘Quickshift’ technology (developed for the F-TYPE), the increase in engine output allows the XFR-S to accelerate to 60mph in 4.4 seconds (0-100km/h in 4.6 seconds) and on to an electronically limited top speed of 186mph (300km/h).
Airflow has been carefully managed in order to both allow the engine to operate at peak efficiency and let the car cleave the air cleanly and safely. The resulting body changes have created a distinctively assertive appearance, beginning with the deeper front bumper with its larger lower air intakes, vertical vanes and carbon fibre front splitter.
Deeper sills and unique ‘aero-blades’ ensure a clean passage of air along the side of the car and on to the deeper rear bumper sides while a carbon fibre rear diffuser between the signature quad tailpipes extends underneath the rear of the XFR-S to reduce lift. It is aided in this by a bootlid mounted spoiler, two designs being available. Overall lift is reduced by 68%.
The unique 20-inch lightweight forged alloy ‘Varuna’ wheels are wider front and rear and are shod with specially developed Pirelli rubber, giving the XFR-S a more muscular stance and increasing its grip and stability. Allied to this are extensive suspension revisions which serve to increase lateral suspension stiffness by 30% for greater steering precision and responsiveness.
Revisions to both spring rates and the adaptive damper tune increase the feeling of connectivity with the road surface, providing confidence-inspiring handling and a supple, controlled ride. Recalibrated active electronic differential and Dynamic Stability Control settings allow the enthusiastic driver to make the most of the huge potential of the XFR-S.
The car’s intent is underlined by the technical palette of materials used on the interior. This includes carbon leather on the seat bolsters and arm rests and a Dark Aluminium fascia, both of which are exclusive to the R-S range. Providing a further unique touch are a choice of contrasting colour stitching and micro-piping which can be matched to the exterior paint scheme.“In developing the XFR-S the engineering challenge was to extend the considerable dynamic abilities common to the entire XF range. The bespoke chassis, powertrain and body enhancements meet that challenge and give the XFR-S its focused performance edge.”
Andrew Whyman, Chief Programme Engineer, Jaguar XF
Dope Right? Read the original article in the link below